[mdlug] [TECH] kill -KILL fails to kill /usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Aug 28 08:38:26 EDT 2007

> From: Robert Meier

> Has anybody before seen a case where a process hangs,
> holds resources, and cannot be killed by -KILL(9)?

 Yes... by either triggering a bug in the kernel or by feeding bad input
into the kernel. Burning a CD is a semi-realtime operation and the operating
system is fairly "thin" there; I wouldn't be shocked if a misplaced command
could cause trouble. To a large exent, a burning app is sending commands
directly to the device.

 Also, Jeorg Schilling, author of cdrecord, has not had the best relationship
with Linux in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux version didn't
receive much attention or testing. :-/

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                             (313) 227-2317

 "Destruction is *easy*. Even stupid people and weather formations can
 do it. If you think you're so cool, try *improving* something." -- Me