[mdlug] [TECH] kill -KILL fails to kill /usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Tue Aug 28 06:14:12 EDT 2007

sysadmins,

Has anybody before seen a case where a process hangs,
holds resources, and cannot be killed by -KILL(9)?

System:		 SuSE-10.0
Hardware:	 HP-3200 (AMD 64 2.2G)
Software:	 k3b

I have a case where burning a cd with k3b froze at 90% into the
fourth of five cd copies.
After waiting >10min and seeing no progress, error report, or cdrecorder
activity light, I hit the cancel button and received acknowledgement
that the operation was cancelled.
The disk however will not eject with either the front case button nor
"bash> ps -ef | grep cd" reports that there are two
/usr/bin/schilly/cdrecord jobs running.
"bash> more /proc/mounts | grep cd" reports that there are no cd/dvd devices
mounted.

"bash> sudo kill -9 <cdrecord process numbers>" has no effect.

How can sudo kill -9 have no effect?
AFAIK, this instructs the operating system to remove the named processes
and return their resources without their contact or consent.

How can I reacquire use of the cdrecorder?

TIA,
--
Robert Meier

  "Real Patriots, who may resist the intrigues of the favourite, are liable
   to become suspected and odious; while its tools and dupes usurp the
   applause & confidence of the people, to surrender their interests."
	 -- George Washington