[mdlug] Hey Look! A new "darling" distro...

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Mon Apr 2 12:21:49 EDT 2007

Robert Adkins wrote:
>     I'm looking at setting up something for my pop. He's completely
> computer illiterate and hosed a Win2K no-rights profile in less than 8
> hours while looking up stuff about Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

Let's face it, windows, any version, is not hard to hose.  As long as
the windows developer community treats security as "not my problem" it
will remain easy to hose.  Add the back doors microsloth puts in their
own software and you don't find that much hose in a fire house.

The beauty of Linux is the fact you can customize the desktop and the
login account to the skills of the user.  You can lock it up tighter
than th 90 year-old nun in a virtual convent, give them root, or
anything in between.

But I'm preaching to the choir here.  I guess my "darling distro" is
Lego Linux.  Clear instructions and a modular install that someone
without a clue can successfully install.  Too many distros I have
encountered are ambiguous about aspects of the install process.  You are
given options, and if you do not come to the install with certain
knowledge the direction to choose is not at all clear.

Unbuntu is at least decent about that.  However the resulting install is
like windows.  One size fits all.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn Http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com