[mdlug] Hey Look! A new "darling" distro...

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Apr 2 08:12:53 EDT 2007

Garry Stahl wrote:
> Robert Adkins wrote:
>
>>    ..on the block.
>>
>>     To get back to an earlier conversation topic:
>>

> Easy eh?  I want bomb proof.  I want something I can give my Pop and he
> cannot break.  Idiot proof is too much to ask, but Idiot resistant would
> be a nice thing.
>
> Better Pop should be able to change things like printers and monitors
> without breaking it.

    I'm looking at setting up something for my pop. He's completely
computer illiterate and hosed a Win2K no-rights profile in less than 8
hours while looking up stuff about Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

    My plan is to write up a few scripts to restore default settings at
every login, while maintaining any bookmarks and certain settings
changes, like wallpaper and or desktop themes, if he decides to play
with those. I am thinking of going with XFCE4 as a base, since it is
fairly simple. He'll only need a web browser for the most part, so the
simpler the desktop, the fewer straight in front of him options, the better.

    -Rob