[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 13:25:48 EST 2023

Le 2023-01-06, Monsieur LAP a ecrit:
>> Emacs has had a GUI since 1986. GTK+ is the current default GUI toolkit
>> for Emacs, though it can also use others (e.g. Motif, Xaw3d, GNUstep).
>
> I've never had the pleasure of using Emacs but as I understand it
> the GUI is not actually a part of Emacs but rather is a separate
> "front end" based on the above mentioned graphical toolkits.

Well, you should try Emacs, just to clear up some of your misconceptions
about it.

> The interesting thing, to me, about Cooledit is that it uses only
> X Window graphical libraries.  Technically, this makes it rather
> unique.

On the other hand, it makes it rather limited, as other toolkits have far
more features that users will likely find useful. I'm not even sure how
unique it is, as I seem to recall some similar text editors from that
time period that used only libX11.

> Because anything that does not use GNOME/KDE is not considered
> a "modern" program.

I'd say that's not true, and Emacs by default does use GTK+, which is the
GUI toolkit for GNOME. I've attached a screenshot of Emacs using some
GNOME icons.

>> But back to Cooledit: how do you show line numbers in Cooledit? Unlike
>> Emacs, the Cooledit GUI doesn't seem to provide a way to do that.
>
> The line number appears in the status bar at the bottom of the window.
> This is not the same as having an actual number preceding each line
> but at least one is not lost.

If you look again at the Cooledit screenshot I included in my original
message, then you'll see that there is no status bar at the bottom of the
window. After playing with Cooledit some more, it turns out that the
window had to be resized past a certain height for the status bar to
appear. I've found a number of other bugs in Cooledit, but I'm not sure I
want to spend time reporting them.

> But this is FOSS.  If one desires line numbers then one is free to
> modify the source code to show line numbers and then contribute the
> patches to the community.

So to get a pretty basic feature that virtually every text editor has,
you'd have to go into the source code and figure out how to add it? That
might partly explain why so few people use Cooledit.

Michael