[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

LAP mail1 at lapiet.info
Fri Jan 6 07:31:42 EST 2023

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 21:28:08 -0500 (EST)
Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:

> Emacs has had a GUI since 1986. GTK+ is the current default GUI toolkit
> for Emacs, though it can also use others (e.g. Motif, Xaw3d, GNUstep).

I've never had the pleasure of using Emacs but as I understand it
the GUI is not actually a part of Emacs but rather is a separate
"front end" based on the above mentioned graphical toolkits.

The interesting thing, to me, about Cooledit is that it uses only
X Window graphical libraries.  Technically, this makes it rather
unique.

> > But isn't Emacs the ultimate example of a throwback to a
> > bygone era?
>
> No, not really. What makes you think it is?

Because anything that does not use GNOME/KDE is not considered
a "modern" program.

> But back to Cooledit: how do you show line numbers in Cooledit? Unlike
> Emacs, the Cooledit GUI doesn't seem to provide a way to do that.

The line number appears in the status bar at the bottom of the window.
This is not the same as having an actual number preceding each line
but at least one is not lost.

But this is FOSS.  If one desires line numbers then one is free to
modify the source code to show line numbers and then contribute the
patches to the community.

I did not like the fact that Cooledit uses a different key combination
for cut/copy/paste operations rather than the de facto standard of
Ctrl-X/Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.  For my own use, I modified the source to change
the key combinations to Ctrl-X/Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

It's a trivial example but the Cooledit source is open to all.