[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

LAP mail1 at lapiet.info
Fri Jan 6 08:05:08 EST 2023

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 00:29:15 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> I think the whole point of Vim and vi is speed. Reaching for a mouse
> and going back takes the time of 8 keystrokes if you're a decent
> touch-typist.

Graphical editors usually have "hot keys" that can substitute for
all menu/mouse driven commands.  Furthermore, these keys are user
programmable.  There is no reason why a graphical editor cannot be
as speedy as VIM.

> Taking it a step farther, my entire workflow is based on keeping my
> fingers on or near touch-typist home position, as much as possible, to
> maximize speed by minimizing reliance on a mouse. I use dmenu and UMENU
> to accomplish this.

The keyboard itself is often a major limiting factor.

The standard QWERTY keyboard becomes extremely awkward and slow for
tasks like Unicode entry or mathematical typesetting.

Custom keyboard hardware and add ons are very hard to find.

The standard keyboard, remarkably, is based on a design that goes back
over 100 years!

Innovative hardware in this area is sorely needed.