[mdlug] Large archival drive?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 17 03:45:34 EST 2022

Gib said on Wed, 16 Nov 2022 08:16:11 -0600

>I'd just buy a NAS. I had real good results from Buffalo:
>
>https://www.microcenter.com/product/643041/buffalo-16tb-linkstation-soho-720-high-speed-cloud-network-storage-ls720d1602b

* That's pretty expensive, compared to
  https://www.microcenter.com/product/635118/wd-18tb-elements-desktop-hard-drive-hdd,-usb-30,-compatible-with-pc,-mac,-ps4-xbox-wdbwlg0100hbk-nesn
  about 66% more.

* The price makes it harder to get multiple drives for added redundancy
  and the ability to store some in a bank safe deposit box (offsite).

* You need a functional network before you can restore from this NAS,
  unless you can do it with its built-in USB.

* If it's online all the time, it's more susceptible to security
  breaches, including viruses and ransomware.

* The NAS is pretty big. If you've got to get out of town fast, the
  smaller the better. After the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, I was sure
  glad my backups (tape at the time) were small and ready to throw in
  the car.

* NAS is meant to spin all the time. I'm not sure how it will hold up
  with days or weeks of inactivity. I keep some of my backup external
  drives in a safe deposit box for weeks at a time.

I'm pretty happy with my USB3 external drives. They're pretty fast, I
have four of them, with two normally kept in a bank safe deposit box. I
doubt all four will go bad simultaneously, so if/when one goes bad I
can copy another one to a new one I buy. I've had only one go bad in
the past six years.

SteveT

Steve Litt