[mdlug] Help with troubleshooting

Robert James Fulner fulner at alumni.nmu.edu
Thu May 12 15:21:05 EDT 2022

+cc Dan Taxation is Theft Berhman & Mike Saliba (if either of you are
interested in this thread I recommend subscribing via
http://mdlug.org/mailman/listinfo/mdlug otherwise feel free to ignore)

Carl,

I started writing this additional info before I received your replies so I
will include both that and my reply to your queries in the one mail:

As I had mentioned I have never actually done this before.

I attempted via the terminal available in my web hosts's cPanel. I'm not
sure if that is considered the correct way or not to access such. I first
tried connecting via SSH and didn't get passed key issues.

A few days after I realized that my main web page on that domain
http://jimfulner.com was no longer functioning either. However I'm not
certain if this is related. That web page was actually hosted on a friend's
server, not the same hostgator server. I recall my friend Dan, cc'd here,
recommending I do an A NAME change on that earlier this year so I didn't
lose it, and I don't recall if I ever actually did or not.

>What version of what distro are you using?
I'm a bad GNU Evangelist as I actually did this from my work issued Windows
10 laptop, rather than my personal Desktop running Trisquel GNU/Linux
version 9.0  (based on Ubuntu 18.04) that comes on my bootbable FSF
Membership card <https://www.fsf.org/associate/card>.

fulner at jimfulner.com [/etc]# uname -r
4.19.150-76.ELK.el6.x86_64

if that is helpful

>Which web server are you using?

Whatever Hostgator has automatically built in

fulner at jimfulner.com [/usr/sbin]# httpd -v or /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.53 (cPanel)
Server built:   Apr 19 2022 23:28:11

fulner at jimfulner.com [/usr/sbin]# mysqladmin -V
mysqladmin  Ver 8.42 Distrib 5.6.41-84.1, for Linux on x86_64

yes https://zebedee.jimfulner.com/ works fine

>Do you have an ssl cert installed and configured?
yes
r.jimfulner.com
 AutoSSL Domain Validated
Expires on July 22, 2022. The certificate will renew via AutoSSL.
View Certificate
<https://cpanel.jimfulner.com/cpsess0660986897/frontend/paper_lantern/ssl/install.html?id=r_jimfulner_com_b4bcf_048f3_1658482437_3d8ce24b942f5f11a472fb699de68ea3>

 Exclude from AutoSSL

>I did some checking, and it was difficult to find the git source.
>That's a bad sign.  What I did find has apparently not been updated
>in the last 5 years.  This is not a project that I would recommend.

I believe their current git repo is

https://notabug.org/diogo/gnu-social.git

This was last updated 5 months ago, not 5 years ago. Certainly not a lot of
action has been taking place, partially because of how popular items like
Mastodon have been. However, reps from FSF at LibrePlanet last month had
indicated that GNU Social is a high priority project for the FSF and the
GNU Project as a whole for a number of reasons (I for one would have never
have heard of Mastodon or the rest of the Fediverse without GNU social). As
much as I am shunned from the church of eMacs due to my previously
mentioned sin of using a Windows machine that I use at work to help
development of proprietary software (though now-a-days a lot of what we
author ends up having to be released as Free Software due to us using Free
Software in our build whose license requires extension to also be produced
as Free Software, YAY FREEDOM IS  WINNING!) I'm still an rms fan boy and
GNU evangelist and would like to help out and it feels like a good place
for me to do so. Part of the reason I wanted to install my own instance is
because the instance my profile currently is on https://2mb.social/fu has
been more-or-less abaondoned, after weeks (maybe months) or trying to get a
hold of "Billy & Mike from 2mb Solutions" there response was basically "if
we do update the server again it would more likely be to replace it with
Friendica than to update GNU Social. I totally understand that, my primary
profile on the #Fediverse is https://libranet.de/profile/fu and Friendica
is great, but on my server that's not what I'm gonna do (though I may end
up getting my friend Mike, also cc'd here, to install the GNU Social plugin
on his new Friendica instance https://antizuckbook.com just so I can post
to my new GNU social instance at r.jimfulner.com from Friendicia).

Jim Fulner
22100 Armada Ridge Rd.,