[mdlug] Help with troubleshooting

Brandon Fotiu brandon at fotiu.com
Thu May 12 15:09:34 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

I have some experience with Zulip, self-hosted as a Slack style
replacement, not full-blown social network. It requires it's own VPS and
it's a little finicky but it does work. https://zulip.com/

For a full social network replacement I've heard Mastodon is an option.
This site seems to have an overview of what's available for all the
major open source options:
https://fediverse.party/

Another thing that seems to be popular is doing federation using Matrix.
A mid-level Ubuntu VPS can work as a Matrix server for about 100 users.

Mastodon has a setup already -> https://mastodon.matrix.org/about
There's an integration for Diaspora too ->
https://git.fosscommunity.in/necessary129/synapse-diaspora-auth

Honestly there's so many of these out there it feels like programmers
are trying to reinvent the wheel. I think it would help to figure out
exactly what the MDLUG needs before launching anything.

For something simple you could even use NextCloud [1]. It's a
'productivity platform', not a social network but it is stable and
scales.

Thank you,

Brandon

---