[mdlug] Test, plus VMs

Jay jjn at nuge.com
Tue Jan 4 11:50:39 EST 2022

Greetings,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022, Raymond Ingles wrote:

> I picked up one of those rack mount servers that were offered on the list
> last year, and this Xmas I finally got enough RAM to make it useful. I'm
> turning it into a teeny tiny cloud. (A wisp?) I happen to work for VMware,
> so I can get full versions of their hypervisor and management software for
> personal use.

    I replaced all of my power-hungry rack-mount servers with a small,
quiet, 15-watt power consumption, 12-volt D.C., server, that has 2.4/5 GHz
WiFi, 4 USB ports, 4 RS-232 ports, 2 Ethernet ports, and a full soundcard.

    Power consumption dropped from around 200 Watts to only 15 Watts and I
no longer have any need for a UPS  :)

    When this particular J1900 server was available it sold for under $300.
This version is now unavailable but other J1900 servers (with different
options) are still available on Amazon.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071P3FJKV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

   I placed a 8-40 volt input / 12.0 volt output DC-DC buck-boost converter
in front of it to keep the voltage at a pure 12.0 vdc so it runs quite
nicely off my 12 VDC Solar Home.  Most of my home runs directly off 12 VDC
without any AC inverters (lights, fans, TV, radios, security
alarm/cameras/DVR, water pump, CPAP, etc.).  The 1200 Amp/Hour
Lithium-Iron-Phosphate battery bank is recharged using Solar panels and
MPPT charge controllers.

    --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
        Ypsilanti, MI
        nuge.com/solar