[mdlug] Question about swap spaces

Josh Catana jcatana at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:59:22 EDT 2020

Swap has more to do with RAM than partitioning. It's used by the kernel to
offload unused memory pages to disk to free up RAM. Ideally you'd put it on
the fastest storage in your system. More than one pool is a waste and there
isn't any inherent benefit. The only reason I could see to add a second
swap partition is if your system memory is swapping SO much that your
current swap partition is full and you need to add more but you cannot
resize your current partition. Nowadays most sane people just get more RAM.

Some argue that with the huge amounts of RAM available in today's systems
swap isn't even necessary, but running that way is risky unless you really
know what you're doing.