[mdlug] Cisco 3850 Catalyst Switch

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Thu Jan 11 17:57:37 EST 2018

Wow an actual response to one of my emails.  I have been sending email trying to get people interested in selecting a topic for the next meeting . . .

Yes.  I have a couple solutions to connect to the switch.

I have a USB cable that has the mini-USB connector.  I have a laptop that has the console software installed.

I have a console cable (Ethernet to USB).

I've been able to get one port working and connected to a laptop using Ethernet to a GigabitEthernet interface over the same subnet.

I can connect using Ethernet and the same subnet then I can launch a web console session.  I have not been able to figure out the user Id and password for the http service.

The thing I'm really stuck on is understanding how to get the second port configured.
I just don't understand what this should look like.  If I have the second one set up I may be able to use that as a model for all the other ports.

When I attempt to configure the second port similar to the first, working, port it gives me an overlap error because I'm using the same subnet.

I think I need to learn about trunking, access ports and vlans.  But it may simply be I have no idea what it should look like.