[mdlug] New Machine OS/Window Manager Recommendation Please

Peter Bart peterbart.ch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 16:48:12 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018, 14:10 Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Xubuntu 16.04 but the next stable LTS release will be at the end of
> April.

Hmmm but still a good choice.

> I stopped using Mint years ago due to the haphazard way they handled repos
> and package overrides (stupid things like clobbering files on boot via an
> init script instead of using dpkg-divert, etc.)

I did notice repos tend to disappear and I ended up resolving dependencies
manually for a bit.

> Setting up encrypted LVM with Live Ubuntu images is difficult because the
> installer doesn't support it well.  I use md-raid > dm-crypt > lvm2,
> sometimes with a separate boot USB flash drive, and normally have to
> configure the partitions in a terminal before running the installer.  The
> installer often fails to install grub properly afterwards so I have to
> remount the new partitions and do it manually.  If you want this kind of
> partition configuration I suggest using the text-based alternate installer
> which works better.  IIRC this is available on the minimal and server ISOs
> and the Lubuntu alternate ISO.

Sounds like I may need to save LVM for a different machine. I can partition
manually and so far have had no issues with running out of space. I want to
try LVM to familiarize myself with it, but sounds like to much work for
this machine.