[mdlug] RSYNC Question

JeremyBekka C jrchristophel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:06:04 EDT 2017

I use rsync to keep my computer backed up with my external hard drive. This
is the command that I use:

rsync -rltDvu --modify-window=1 --progress --delete --delete-excluded
--exclude-from=/home/username/Documents/Backup-Exclude-List.txt
/home/username /run/media/username/Iomega\ HDD/Backup

This command works fine for routine backups, but there is a problem when
using it on a new install. For example, I just installed an new Linux OS on
my desktop computer and ran this command in reverse to put all my stuff
back on my computer from the external Iomega. Instead of putting everything
where it belongs, it created a new folder called "Backup" in my /home
directory and filled it with everything on the Iomega. I had to manually
move everything back where I wanted it.

The same thing is happening again now that I want to sync my computer with
the Iomega. It is putting all my stuff from my computer into another folder
in the /Backup directory on the Iomega rather than updating the existing
folders within the /Backup directory.

Just wondering why this is happening and how I can fix it.

Thanks,