[mdlug] Macro Language in Libre Office

musichall at juno.com musichall at juno.com
Sat May 27 16:19:13 EDT 2017

Since I am migrating from Windows to some flavor/variant of Linux, I am considering engaging an effort to migrate VBA code (both for MS Word and MS Excel) to something corresponding to what is more native to the Linux realm.The work in Excel involves reading values (both numbers and corresponding text) into an 'array', sorting the "array" (I use the word array more as a discussion concept rather than as a specific method, but not to preclude/exclude its use), making some calculations with the numbers, then modifying (i.e. entering) some other blank cells with the results. The work in Word involves primarily page layout of given text: text organizing/manipulation or rather paragraph manipulation, keeping the text the same, but modifying presentation e.g. bold, underline, etc. I have been looking into both Mint and Fedora (more at Mint at the moment for this exercise) - both recent releases. Both releases appear to have included LibreOffice (LO). That's fine. With VBA, I have already learned that 'mind-set' which applies to both applications, and I am looking for whatever (single) appropriate language to use in LO. My question is essentially which macro language to pursue for this work: LibreOffice Basic or Python? From what I've been able to gather, Python is more "powerful" (whatever that means), though LibreOffice Basic is supposed to be easier to transition to from VBA. What more might I consider using Python for? Thanks in advance for your help.