[mdlug] Warning messages during boot up in Ubuntu 14.0

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jul 30 16:13:23 EDT 2017

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 12:38:25 -0400
R Kannan <rk111810 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ever since I upgraded to Ubutu 14.04 from 12.04. I have been getting
> a series of warnings like the following during boot up.
>
> [   11.060806] systemd-udevd[1404]: failed to execute
> '/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event'
> 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
>
> The system was working fine but for this minor irritation.
>
> Today I decided to get rid of these warnings.I did a search and found
> that the solution was to remove one of the packages ('hal') as below:
>
> sudo apt-get purge hal
>
> Now I noticed that I was getting the following warnings as well.
> Perhaps these messages were there before but were drowned out by the
> above messages during boot. I do not have any issues with audio and
> perhaps these messages are harmless.
>
> [   10.178587] systemd-udevd[591]: failed to execute
> '/usr/sbin/alsactl' '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/var/run/alsa restore
> 1': No such file or directory
> [   10.180921] systemd-udevd[592]: failed to execute
> '/usr/sbin/alsactl' '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/var/run/alsa restore
> 0': No such file or directory

Short answer: Install whatever's necessary to place a copy of alsactl
in /usr/sbin, and make sure the file /var/run/alsa exists before
alsactl is run by systemd. If /var is a temp directory, this might
include a shellscript kludge.

Long answer: Systemd represents a huge complexification of Linux, with
all sorts of side effects widely reported. If you would have been
initting with runit instead of systemd, fixing this problem would have
been an easy exercise in elementary logic. There are several good Linux
distributions that don't use systemd to init.

> Any reasons for concern?

Does your sound do anything funky? Does your sound retain its settings
between boots,  even for applications that use ALSA? If so, the only
concern is these warnings camoflaging more serious warnings. But if
your sound actually suffers in any way, you probably want to fix it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz