[mdlug] Tech Request: HP Pavilion suspend and resume

Dr. Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 15 19:22:34 EDT 2017

Those who suspend to disk and/or ram,

After an interesting[1] week, I purchased an
HP Pavilion 17-P047CL laptop with ATI graphics card
 and installed openSuSE-13.2 + xfce .
Unfortunately, after suspending to disk or ram,
  whether from the logout menu,
  by executing ./s2disk as root from/usr/sbin,
  or by writing shutdown or reboot to /sys/power/disk
     and writing disk to /sys/power/stae
,resume hangs, and so far only a power cycle has resulted in
a running system.

I am pursing online sources such as
  https://01.org/blogs/rzhang/2015/
    best-practice-debug-linux-suspend/hibernate-issues
and
  https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt
but have made no progress.

Is anyone successfully resuming linux from either disk
 or ram on an HP Pavilion?
Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thank you,
--
Bob

[1] A week after my laptop fell from a shelf,
    firefox and thunderbird began to fail with increasing frequency.
    fsck was inexplicably not running periodically as expected,
    and when forced reported disk corruption.
    memchk reported a bad memory card.

    Consequently, I had no mail access from Fri Jul 8 through
    Thu Jul 12, when I installed a new memory card, and cleaned up disk.

    Because I needed a laptop over the weekend, I bought a new
    HP Pavilion 17-P047CL and will be migrating to it.