[mdlug] Linksys WRT1900AC v2 Setup

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Tue Dec 26 19:53:26 EST 2017

I'll second the risks vs benefits.

I have two wireless bridges (one built into a router,  one an older
bridge-only device), a hodgepodge of wired and wireless devices,  some
level of security on mobile devices so we can use them roaming safely,  and
either user-level security or no open services on wired devices.

The older wireless bridge allegedly supported WEP or WPA,  but I never got
that to work; perhaps it was a"pre-standard" implementation.

Hence,  I'm running open WiFi with SSID broadcast,  and only limited MAC
locking.

Advantages:
* simple setup.  New devices just have to discover the SSID,  not receive a
password.
* no need to generate/rotate the password on a regular basis (because there
isn't one).

Disadvantage:
* some devices pop up a warning about connecting to an unsecured network.

Might be advantage or disadvantage :
* the open WiFi seems to be a honeypot for teenagers and older kids; they
hang out in the street near my home dinking with their phones,  in clear
view of my security cameras,  but wander off if anyone opens the door.

Potential disadvantages:
* The FBI, or KGB, or some dudes with friends in Nigeria, could cruise the
neighborhood in a windowless van with a directional antenna and pick up
cleartext traffic,  or brute-force open services.
* A scruffy-looking guy could drop a backpack on my lawn containing a
portable device that does the same.
(But that's why I have security cameras and participate in Neighborhood
Watch...)