[mdlug] Linksys WRT1900AC v2 Setup

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 13:15:14 EST 2017

MAC address filtering and hiding an SSID is both very weak security.  MAC
addresses can be faked.  IIRC, SSID can be sniffed from active connections.

Disabling remote access is helpful depending on how secure the
authentication is.

It's a matter of evaluating practical risks vs. benefits.  If you are
concerned about amateurs freeloading on your network then it's easy enough
to fool them.  Against a pro then don't count on it.

I don't bother with address filtering or SSID hiding.  I'm in a rural area
where even accidental connections are rare.  I block remote access because
I don't need it.  Internally I use sshfs with keys for file sharing between
anything that matters, unauthenticated Samba for anything that doesn't.