[mdlug] Scripting languages

Ben Werthmann ben.werthmann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 19:26:19 EST 2017

The answer depends on what you want out of your career... Without knowing a
goal is hard to say so I'll share a few possible directions:

If you want a well paying job for the rest of your career, there's a few
tracks:
- Applications side - COBOL, Fortran, and/or Java and write software for
banks, airlines, insurance, etc.
  -
https://mainframedebate.com/2015/04/24/1001-reasons-why-the-class-of-2015-should-consider-a-mainframe-career/
- Systems side - learn about IBM System Z hardware, software. operations
  - https://www.youtube.com/user/IBMSystemZ
  - https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/education/academic
  - https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/education/master-the-mainframe

Outside of the above space, the industry is moving away from imperative
scripting in favor of declarative tooling or "immutable infrastructure"
like this
https://blog.gruntwork.io/why-we-use-terraform-and-not-chef-puppet-ansible-saltstack-or-cloudformation-7989dad2865c

The CNCF is gaining a lot of traction. There's a lot going on in the
https://kubernetes.io/ ecosystem. See https://www.cncf.io/

My two cents: Learn Go. It's the glue of cloud and on-premises datacenters.
There's quite a few libraries for existing IT kit and for working with the
cloud. It also opens the door for systems programming in the future if that
is of interest to you. Go is not subject to the rot that happens in shell,
python, ruby, and perl.
  -
https://www.reddit.com/r/golang/comments/5j6cf6/go_as_a_scripting_language/