[mdlug] USB bootable

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:38:18 EST 2016

If you only need a single boot CD on the USB stick, boot up any Linux
system, put the CD, DVD, or iso file somewhere on that system, and use
fdisk -l and cat /etc/mtab to find the device name of the USB and any
CD/DVD. Make sure any CD/DVD and everything on the USB stick is
unmounted (sudo umount /dev/sdx1 /dev/sdx2 ... /dev/sr0). Then

dd if=/path/to/iso/knoppix.iso of=/dev/sdx

to write an iso file, or

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdx

to copy the CD or DVD.

If at all possible, get dcfldd to use instead of dd. It displays a
status line rather than sit for minutes on end showing nothing. I
recommend using "bs=1M statusinterval=1".