[mdlug] Lost audio on Ubuntu 12.04

R Kannan rk111810 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:27:01 EST 2016

Hello,

Today I seem to have lost audio on my desktop for some applications. The
box has Intel integrated built-in audio.

No sound on attached speakers, wired earphones or wireless headphones
through pulse audio. This is probably not a hardware failure because the
sound seems to be on when I log into Windows.

There seems to be some audio signal because I can see the signal
indicator in pulse audio control panel shows some signals when i play a
video.

I tried rebooting with no success. It is as if the speakers were muted.

Next I tried testing the speakers with audio streams with

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

and it did work. But I cannot hear the audio when I plan a video either
in a browser or in MythTV or play an audio file in VLC media player.

Any ideas?

Thanks