[mdlug] How to determine what version of HDMI or DisplayPort spec is in use?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at dynatrace.com
Fri Jan 8 14:48:03 EST 2016

The Oculus Rift being priced beyond my impulsiveness, I decided to put the money I'd saved up into a new monitor instead. I should have an Acer G257HU waiting for me when I get home tonight. The specs and reviews for it are quite good for the price, and the downsides (poor speakers and stand) are not relevant for me. However, I can't find any documentation on the exact version of HDMI and DisplayPort it uses.

I know it's at least HDMI 1.3 and DisplayPort 1.1, because they are sufficient for 2560x1440 at 60Hz. But I'd be interested to find out if it supports, say, HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2. I've done a bit of searching, and I can't find any way to determine that - not xrandr, nor get-edid/parse-edid, etc. You can easily find out that monitors are hooked up via VGA, or DVI, or HDMI, or DP - but not the *versions* of those interconnects.

Anyone know a way to find that out?