[mdlug] Fw: [Discuss] expanding Europe's Linux Presentation Day to the US

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.org
Fri Dec 9 17:10:19 EST 2016

Hello,

Am Freitag, 9. Dezember 2016, 21:43:47 CET schrieb gib at juno.com:
> What do we think about this?  I'm assuming that the local media will ignore
> anything we do.

the experience from Germany is that about 25% of the cities got coverage by
their local media. We provide a press release template for the local media
buit I do not know how many hosting organizations have really tried to get
media coverage so the ratio might even be better than it seems. In addition we
just learnt that we need a different kind of press release for local media. So
next year the ration should get better.

Getting media attention is easier if you are in a smaller city (nothing in
Berlin's, Hamburg's, Cologne's or Munich's newspapers yet – those are the four
largest German cities). Ir is also easier if you cooperate with an
organization which has good access to local media (like an adult education
center or a university) or which seems relevant to the public (like a public
library or school).

It might also help (compared to our former situation) that you can tell your
media that you are joining  a more or less worldwide event / movement which is
more successful in the US than anywhere else (except Germany). The LPD will
take place in about 20 countries: Most of Europe, Canada, US, New Zealand,
probably Australia. At about the same time there is a similar event (Flisol)
in another about 20 countries in Central and South America.

But the main point is: It takes very little effort to find out whether you are
lucky with your local media. And even if you aren't, chances are good that you
gain new LUG members.

CU

Hauke
--
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

International phone contact for the Linux Presentation Day:
     tel:+49-30-55579620 (13:00–23:00, German and English)

XMPP (Chat with OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997