[mdlug] After power outage desktop won't boot.

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:39:37 EDT 2016

Replace the CMOS battery, to start. You can get the CR2032 coin cells 2 for
a dollar at Dollar Tree. If there is no BIOS reset jumper, simply leave the
battery out for twenty minutes or so. If the fans are spinning, the power
supply is probably OK. By he way, I fix PCs for a living and try to give
good advice,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> I'd give high priority to replacing the power supply.  Or at least
> swapping it out with a known good one and see if that fixes your problem.
> In my experience I have seen this time and time again and not only on cheap
> no-name hardware.  I've had $200+ modular high-watt power supplies die
> after the first year.  In that particular instance, it had a 3yr Mfr
> warranty, so I called Micro Center and they said it was outside of their
> exchange period and I would have to ship it back to China.  Go figure.
>
> But if you are not running any extreme video configurations, or powering a
> half-dozen SATA drives, you should be fine with a ~400W PS for around $35.
> Or if you are near the Farmington Hills area, I have a spare PS you could
> borrow.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 4/29/2016 2:38 AM, Jim Fulner wrote:
>
>> While I was at work today it looks like my power went out at home.
>>
>> No biggie, just boot the desktop up again. And it didn't. Monitor
>> flickers on, then nothing, my first attempt I heard a strange noise from
>> the case that I thought was the hard drive trying to spin, though I wasn't
>> sure. My 3 year old broke my DVD drive like a year ago so that could have
>> been the noise, not sure. Opened the case, fans were spining though not
>> really how I thought they did. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting things
>> no apparent change.
>>
>> I'm not really a hardware guy, what's my next step from here? A new PC
>> wasn't really in the budget for this year. Would anyone be interested in
>> helping me tinker with it if I bring it to Penguicon?

~~ Michael Rudas