[mdlug] Winbooks

Brandon bfotiu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:34:17 EST 2015

I haven't used this device but looking it over as long as it runs Windows
8.1 you should be able to run x86 .exes and install Virtualbox. Performance
will probable leave a lot to be desired though.

If Winbooks are popular some enterprising soul may have done that already.
Device support will vary depending on what actual hardware drives the
Bluetooth, wifi, etc inside the tablet.

"I got ubuntu to install .. but in no way stable and no wireless anything.
(on the 8 and 10 inchers anyway). Needed the keyboard so mainly messed with
the 10, tw100.
Issues: no touch, no wifi, no bt, no battery or power management.
alternatively tried the fedlet custom from the dell venue forums.
Issues: no wifi, no bt, partial power management (almost cooked the
processor) and single point touch only with both x and y inverted.

both installs failed to initialize the HCI bus which the sdio inputs are
related to.. kernel panic on attempts to suspend or blank screen/ screen
saver"

"My understanding is, however, that it uses 32-bit UEFI with no legacy BIOS
support. That makes using Ubuntu (or really anything other than Windows), a
bit of a pain."

It looks like a nice tablet for $50 and at that price there may be some
stronger community support down the line.

--Brandon