[mdlug] xargs guide

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Aug 2 18:02:12 EDT 2015

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 17:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:

> Le 2015-08-02, Monsieur Steve Litt a ecrit:
> > Were you viewing it on a handheld device, or on a computer monitor?
>
> On a regular computer monitor (23" LCD, 1920x1080 resolution).
> Looking at the page source, it says the font is size 32px.
>
> Here's what it looks like on my monitor in Firefox 39.0:
> http://i.imgur.com/V0xxrhH.png
> I think when the font is that big in a paragraph your eyes have to
> move too much to read, making it a bit uncomfortable.
>
> Michael

Ugh!

I'm pretty sure that's the latest version, and it's even worse than you
think. I'm pretty sure if you widened the screen, all of a sudden the
font would snap into the font size you've configured your browser for,
and two white borders would develop on the sides.

Thanks for pointing this out. I really need to solve this problem
before applying my "mobile friendly" interface to most of my web
pages, and need lots of feedback from lots of browsers and devices
used in many different ways.

This all came about when Google declared they're up-ranking "mobile
friendly" sites, and down-ranking those that aren't "mobile friendly."
No problem, I put in a meta viewport tag and a little bit of CSS to
jump through Google's hoops. But it resulted in the big print you see.

So I put in a media query for max-width, and wider than something like
1020px, all of a sudden the body{font-size: 32px} isn't honored
anymore. Which can REALLY be disturbing. But wait, there's more.

No problem, I thought, I'll just media-query on "handheld". Nope,
Google apparently doesn't honor "handheld".

Of course, I could incorporate one of these "responsive" mixins like
bootstrap. But that's, iirc, a hundred KB or so of stuff to pull in for
a web page (granted, it's probably cached), and many of my web pages
are only 20KB.

So I'm still experimenting to get something that 1) Leaves a person's
default fonts and sizes as they defined them in the browser, 2) Passes
Google's "mobile friendly" test and 3) is readable on handheld devices.

Thanks for the feedback.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21