[mdlug] Encrypted Window 7 System - virus, pay to decrypt

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Fri Nov 21 08:04:38 EST 2014

I know someone who was hit by the scheme where the computer hard-drive is encrypted by a virus and you are asked to pay money to get it unencrypted. It is a Window 7 system and it contains family pictures. So, I said:1. Stop using Windows2. Backup important stuff I'd guess educating about clicking on attachments from unknown people or suspect email would be a good idea too. Anything else that can be done?
Are we to the point yet that decryption when you don't know the key is possible/likely?