[mdlug] NAS Recommendations

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Mon Mar 17 14:21:42 EDT 2014

> Wow.  ReadyNAS looks like a virtual clone of Synology
> (Synology's NAS admin has been around since at least 2012;
> readyNAS was announced a in 2013).
>
> That doesn't mean ReadyNAS is inferior.  Just later to the
> party.  It does look like synology have a slight edge in the
> number (and likely maturity) of click to run apps, though.

	Carl,

	I have been reading some reviews of the ReadyNAS product and I'm
unhappy with some of what I have been reading regarding throughput, etc.,
etc.

	I have been reading the same kind of reviews on the Synology product
and the reveiews are far more glowing and tout the awesomeness of the
throughput and rock steady operation of the device.

	It sounds like you have some experience in the Synology devices.
Would you be able to walk me through how that device would work in this
scenario and or maybe the better way to configure things for this scenario?

	I'll have three VMs on a single host.

	One VM will be a Samba Server and act as the ACL system for the NAS.
One VM will be the primary IMAP email server and the second will be a SSL
authenticated email server for mobile users. The Samba Server will need to
have "control" of a series of Quota enabled or size limited disk partitions
(this is done for a specific purpose in my network and will not be
changing.) The two Email servers would also, ideally, be serving data
directly off of the NAS device.

	What I would need to be able to do if the host server dies is have a
back-up server turned on and then remotely or walk a neophyte through
booting and starting up the VMs and have those VMs mount up the necessary
drives and create as "seamless" as possible a changeover.

	-Rob