[mdlug] Virtual Server Time

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Mon Mar 17 08:08:35 EDT 2014

> Robert Adkins II wrote:
> >   I do think, that I should look into an easy to
> setup/configure NAS
> > system that can be subordinate to my Samba Domain
> Controller, before
> > moving forward with the migration to Virtual Servers. My
> main concern
> > right now is the potential failure of the hard drives in my current
> > server hardware.
>
> I didn't even think to ask if you have backups in place.
> I recommend backuppc since it is easy to set up, maintain and
> use.  Of course this would be in addition to whatever you do
> for disaster recovery.

	I'm also, for ease of bringing servers up for the neophytes in my
office, strongly considering switching back to VirtualBox, because I can
clone the live VMs to a secondary system that anyone in the front office can
logon to and then they can manually fire up the individual VMs to bring the
file serving and email servers back up with ease.

	I would have to setup a fairly beefy system for that, because
Windows running VMs, even on pretty heavy duty hardware, isn't going to work
out very well.

	VirtualBox under Windows is also a major dog. I remember taking a
class in DB management where we were all to run a Windows serrver in a VM
using VirtualBox. There were brand new, fairly beefy work systems in the
class, but my far older laptop, running Linux and VirtualBox booted the
Windows server image and everything it did was very noticeably faster than
on those Windows machines.

	-Rob