[mdlug] NAS Recommendations

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Mar 15 12:24:35 EDT 2014

Robert Adkins II wrote:
> 	Does anyone have expereince with Teamf1.com's NASS system? It lists
> NT Domain authentication as one of the security options  and also shows
> per
> file/folder permissions that can be assigned to "users", I'm curious to
> know
> if it can also assign/understand group membership as well. I would prefer
> assign group permissions to files stored on the system, rather than have
> add each user to each shared resource.
>
> 	This is the kind of product that I am looking for.

Look at the ReadyNAS product line.  I use one of the business
models and it does everything I want.  It even has two nics, so
I use one for management and file shares, and the other for
iscsi connections to my kvm hosts.

I'll bet the ReadyNAS I have supports authentication from a DC,
but if not I would set up a restricted share that can only be
accessed by the guest running samba.

One nice feature is that you can buy an extra ReadyNAS and have
it backup the first one.  Combine that with a guest running
backuppc and you'll have a good method to backup everything
you want to keep.