[mdlug] NAS Recommendations

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Sat Mar 15 11:44:05 EDT 2014

> 	All of that is well and good, except that it raises the
> threshold of knowledge if I am not immediately available and
> the host server dies, bringing down all the VMs, while the
> hardware for the shared drives is still chugging along and
> able to continue serving, if only it had something to
> authenticate AND or get files onto the network with.
>
> 	If there is a NAS solution that will use a Samba PDC
> for user authentication and provide me with the granular
> control of shared resources that I must have, that would be
> the best option. Especially if I can setup an automatic
> network back-up of the NAS to another identical unit that
> could be made into the "live" server in cases of calamity.
>
> 	The goal is to keep email and fileserving flowing and
> if there is a failure that a total and complete neophyte can
> perform a couple of clicks and bring up a back-up server with
> VMs that are clones of the most recently active VMs to keep
> email and fileserving flowing. No, they cannot be asked to
> move any cables or switch around any hardware.
>
> 	"Bullet Proof" and super simple are the goals.
>
> 	-Rob

	Does anyone have expereince with Teamf1.com's NASS system? It lists
NT Domain authentication as one of the security options  and also shows per
file/folder permissions that can be assigned to "users", I'm curious to know
if it can also assign/understand group membership as well. I would prefer to
assign group permissions to files stored on the system, rather than have to
add each user to each shared resource.

	This is the kind of product that I am looking for.

	-Rob