[mdlug] NAS Recommendations

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Mar 15 10:54:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-15 at 10:25 -0400, Robert Adkins II wrote:
> I think the first step in my server migration should be to review NAS
> solutions that will provide me with some flexibility and redundancy.
> I would like some recommendations and suggestions based upon the things I'm
> looking at doing.

My suggestion would be to skip NAS and go with a SAN, especially as you
are doing visualization anyway.  A SAN makes for a simpler device, often
better performance, a clearer distinction between your storage network
and your application network, and is much more flexible [1]

Most SANs now support iSCSI [ethernet], Fiber-Channel, or ***direct
SAS*** connect [2]; using direct-connect SAS avoids all intermediary
hardware costs with the connection being as simple as a SAS cable [3]

[1] if you want to host a Samba service for shared volumes, etc.... just
do that via a virtual machine hosting Samba services - you can upgrade,
configure, etc... in all the myriad ways Samba can be configured and
upgrade it whenever - otherwise you are limited by the vendor's updates,
supported configurations, etc...

[2] the limitation of direct SAS connect is the number of hosts that can
connect - usually 4.  But for a 'standard' virtualized cluster of three
hosts this works fine.

[3] iSCSI really demands secondary isolated Ethernet switches and
cabling and FC (the fastest solution) requires FoC adapters in the
servers and fiber-optic patch cables.