[mdlug] NAS Recommendations

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Sat Mar 15 10:25:46 EDT 2014

I think the first step in my server migration should be to review NAS
solutions that will provide me with some flexibility and redundancy.

I would like some recommendations and suggestions based upon the things I'm
looking at doing.

Goals:

Mount a share to the Virtual Email Server that will be used for hosting the
/home directory structure for the IMAP service. Not allow this share to be
accessed by client systems, except via email clients through the IMAP
server.

Use the Samba PDC to authenticate users using the same mix of shares and
permissions that I am currently utilizing. It's not an overly complex setup,
but it's not a simple setup either. I also have strict size limitations
enforced via partitioning in part to force myself to archive older jobs so
that they aren't accidentally deleted or modified by end users long after
the jobs have shipped.

A separate location to store Virtual Machine images that could potentially
still be accessed without the PDC operating in case the Host server
completely dies, in order to be able to quickly bring up a temporary
solution on other systems, while a new host server is procured.

-Rob