[mdlug] SSD - flashcache or bcache

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Tue Jan 14 00:54:02 EST 2014

On 01/13/2014 10:56 PM, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> As I understand it, Compared to disks, when writing, the throughput to
> flash memory is slow.
>
> Flash memory is GREAT for things like directories like /etc, /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
> because the files in them are written VERY occasionally (software
> updates and configuration changes),
> and so there are al the advantages of a technology that eliminates the
> disk-drive associate
> delays of read/write head seek time and rotational delay.
>
> Also, using flash for swap space is just going to wear out very
> expensive memory very quickly.

The cost of SSD or flash is the main reason I have not looked into
either for my personal machines.  Frankly good old disk technology gives
you the best return on the dollar.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org