[mdlug] SSD - flashcache or bcache

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 22:56:46 EST 2014

Michael ORourke wrote:
> Lug Nuts,
>
> Anyone out there using either of these technologies, flashcache or bcache?  Basically looking to add some speed to a filesystem, but would like to keep the existing RAID 1 volumes for redundancy.
>
> -Mike

As I understand it, Compared to disks, when writing, the throughput to flash memory is slow.

Flash memory is GREAT for things like directories like /etc, /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
because the files in them are written VERY occasionally (software updates and configuration changes),
and so there are al the advantages of a technology that eliminates the disk-drive associate
delays of read/write head seek time and rotational delay.

Also, using flash for swap space is just going to wear out very expensive memory very quickly.