[mdlug] Can't boot from SSD?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jan 8 08:55:23 EST 2014

I stuck the SSD into my system. I only have two 6gbps SATA ports, so I bumped one of my hard drives down to a 3gbps port. So now, I have:

6gbps: SSD
6gbps: Hard drive (Windows)
3gbps: Hard drive (Linux)
3gbps: Hard drive (data)
3gbps: Optical drive

It was the Linux drive that got bumped. Naturally, after that, since the SSD was unpartitioned, the BIOS looked at the next drive in line, found the Windows MBR, and booted into Windows instead of Grub. So far, that's what I expected.

But then I booted with a Xubuntu live CD, set up a Linux partition on the SSD, and tried to reinstall grub. No dice.

So I just went ahead and had it install Xubuntu 13.10 into that SSD partition, and when I rebooted... still straight to Windows. This is confusing. It's like the BIOS refuses to boot off the SSD, doesn't even see the boot manager there. Has anyone run into something like this before?