[mdlug] Adding SSD to existing system

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Jan 6 14:16:19 EST 2014

> From: Jonathan Billings

> I would suggest using backup tools, LVM migrations or just create a new OS and copy user data and configuration files.  Your OS probably already knows how to partition SSDs optimally.

Well, it's actually more complicated than that - there are a few partitions in use. There's a /usr/local as well as a /home partition. (Though I can probably consolidate /usr/local with the root partition - even added together, they are less than 24GB.) And I'll be keeping the old, slower - but much more capacious - drives for data and games and such.

I've been meaning to update to Ubuntu 13.10 anyway - I might do a "dpkg get-selections" to get a list of installed apps on 13.04, create a new 13.10 install on the SSD, and have it mount /home in the right place. Installing Linux isn't much of a pain anymore anyway.