[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows 98se with Linux!

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Aug 13 10:21:18 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 01:15:12AM -0400, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> The problems that it solved were well-understood.
> The problems it has created are not well-understood.
>
> Therefore, it is a step backwards, not forwards.

By your definition, any change that can produce future problems that
aren't understood ahead of time is a step backwards, and any change
that produces future problems that are understood is a step forward.

While I agree that in an ideal world, all potential problems any
change could make should be understood ahead of time, it isn't the
world we live in.

Following your argument would lead to a static, never changing world
of obsessive-compulsive adherence to an existing set of rules, no matter
how well the rules work, at least they're understood.  What you're
describing is the very opposite of stepping forward.

With progress comes change.  Sometimes change results in
unpredictability, but without it, there would be no progress.

I have no problem with trying out new things, even if it breaks
stuff.  This is why I use Fedora, and I've been aware of the UsrMove
change since it was introduced in 2012.  Developers for Fedora have
been working within this change for 2 years now, and now Red Hat (and
CentOS) are getting a product that's had 2 years of testing.  It's not
a crazy jump into the unknown.  Distros are choosing this because it
makes sense.