[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows 98se with Linux!

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Fri Aug 8 07:14:09 EDT 2014

On 08/08/2014 01:57 AM, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Slower and slower system response as software gets more and more
> bloated, part from sloppiness, and partly from lazy programmers using
> languages which are more and more abstract and compile more and more
> inefficiently -- or even worse,
> "compile" to p-code or j-code or whatever-code and then run that on
> the whatever-code interpreter.

Yep.  I get identical response times form my 1992 Amiga 1200 with ten
meg of ram and a 20 mhrz processor as my 8 gig ram and 2.4 ghrz dual
core.  Even with Linux boated programing is a problem.

Imagine how these things would run if you had the kind of tight
programing Amigas enjoyed, or even DOS.

We have 500 times the computer, but not 500 times the computing.

A perfect example isthe kind of HTML that WYSIWIG editors produce. (Sue
me I don't program)  Way over bloated.  I get the same results with a
fraction the bytes doing it manually.

Here is the key.,  It takes more time to do it manually.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org