[mdlug] Dearborn Library workshop ideas

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Wed Apr 30 16:20:02 EDT 2014

I think the May 20th date works best since it will avoid the holiday on May 26.  So, I'm proposing a May 20th workshop 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM related to social tools including Facebook.  I recall that we had several suggestions for open source options.  Does anyone want to help put this workshop together.  If not I'm going to do this on my own.   I'm willing to accept any effort or help provided. We have a person who has offered to provided a networking presentation at our May 10th meeting.  I think it's going to be a great learning experience.  Many of the topics he listed were highly technical.  Does anyone else want to do a beginners or starter presentation?  We could start with a short presentation that you put together where you decide the contents.  You could give us the basics of how a home network is typically set up.  You could cover a bit about WIFI.  If no one else steps forward we will go with what we have. Tony offered to do a presentation on internet security.  He offered to do this in June.  But I think he said a Saturday.  I believe the library is closed on the weekends in the summer. So, we need to clarify timing on this.  Thank you Tony for stepping forward. I'm going to ask the library if they would like to allow us to set up Ford volunteers to help with workshops.  I think we can get a lot of support from them.  Any objections about using the club not-for-profit status to bring in some "ringers" to do workshops at the library? I need commitments from people to make this stuff work.  I'm about to just create some workshops and staff them myself. How about a May 27th 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM workshop on an introduction to open source software for people who never used it before?  Will anyone create a write-up on this to be used to create a flier?  If not, I'll make one. Maybe a Tuesday June 3rd 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM workshop on video and audio editing software.  Anyone?  Anyone?  I'll do it if no one else does.                        -------- Original Message ----------