[mdlug] Scrub grub

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Apr 11 07:53:11 EDT 2014

Garry Stahl wrote:
> How does one scrub grub off a hard drive?  The this is tenacious as
> bumper stickers.  I want the drive back to a zero state.

Hi Garry,

Grub can live on the first sector of a hard drive or on
the first sector of any (or all) of the partitions.
Without knowing any more details, it's a good guess that
zeroing the first sector will do what you want.

However, there is a catch.  The first sector also contains
all the information about the partitions on the disk.  If
you zero it out, you'll lose access to whatever else was
on the disk.

If that's what you want, replace the ... with the device name.
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/... bs=512 count=1

If you want to keep your partiton data, use this instead.
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/... bs=466 count=1