[mdlug] Healthcare.gov development problem

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 11:52:48 EDT 2013

Before I start:

I am only interested in the technical aspects of the Web solution NOT anybodies political views.

I was signing up for insurance and the site felt like a ".NET" resource site. Then I did not work.  Now it is working much better.

I would love to know what MISSED steps the project incurred to produce such a result.

My thought is that;

1. The project was not managed in that there was no Alfa Testing or Beta testing.
2. The development hierarchy needed a Software/Solution Architect
3. The Back end resources were not implemented correctly
4. They used inexperienced developers/programmers
5. Gurus were not used
6. No Quality Assurence
7. THEY USED MICROSOFT (LOL)

I could go on, but engineering solutions have glitches that is to be expected but I'm thinking that I'm a programmer that strives to do my best to deliver solutions that perform well. I even get in trouble fighting to do my best.

I guess my point is that skilled IT Professionals sometimes are short changed in that an Executive look at what they are paying and say can i get it for cheaper, and make more money? When the solution does not work right or has more glitches than normal the project ends up costing more than having a seasoned professional develop the project.

I have to say I don't like Microsoft sponsoring Visa's so that they can pay their staff less money.

As I said this is NOT about politics, it is about IT Culture and the string of bad choices that were made to produce a flawed solution. And I believe that If they chose the right people and the right resources there would not be an issue.

But My Bias is that Linux is so much more scalable than Microsoft, fact check me look at www.top500.org. And employing AND paying IT Gurus would have helped.

David C. Lane
Programmer
"Linux Leaning"