[mdlug] Best Linux rig for capturing frames from analog video?

Michael Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sun May 26 15:03:58 EDT 2013

Remind me again why I use Yahoo mail?

It appears all my links were stripped from my post.  So here they are in-line:

One doesn't need to just use a low-cost video cam for shooting.  Tethered mode on higher quality cameras can be set up for a very reasonable cost.  Instead of spending $20-ish on low quality AD converter, one could buy a much higher quality camera with USB for around $150 and tether it.

Here is an informative article [http://www.ubuntuphotographer.com/2012/08/tethered-shooting-ubuntu/] about tethered shooting along with a nice example video. What is great is that one can use off-the-shelf cameras and software and can auto adjust exposure.

Does this look like what you want [http://vimeo.com/47677796]?  This was done using Linux and a Nikon D70, it appears.  Here is an example using a Nikon D90 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ui9Ie8HaMk].

gphoto2 and entangle [http://entangle-photo.org/] look like good packages to start.  Here is a nice page on gphoto2 [http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gphoto/index.php?title=Capture_examples].  It provides a list of supported cameras (Canon, Nikon, Olympus) [http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/].

My guess is you can put together a very high-quality 16MP tethered system for as little as $150 ("see price in cart") with the Cannon SX160 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=30-120-634&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1] or similar.  Maybe that is out of budget, but given the amount of saved labor, something like this may be the most cost effective and highest quality solution.  One important point - which I have not investigated - is you probably would want to ensure the camera has an AC power adaptor because battery drain for an always-on camera would probably be unacceptable.

Just some thoughts.  I hope this is useful.  And if you do go this route, please share!

Cheers, Mike