[mdlug] Linux VMs - virtual disk best practices

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:31:12 EDT 2013

Drew wrote:
> What I meant to say is having the first partition begin at the
> beginning of the second cylinder (the MBR being on the first cylinder)
> and for each partition to be an integral number of cylinders..Some
> partition managers have a check box for this; personally I use the
> Ranish partitoner which shows what cylinder, head, and sector each
> partition starts and ends at and allows editing this data.

They're not REAL heads... look at your disk drive sometime, or look
at whta it's reporting to your bios... neither your 1/2-inch high
desktop drive, nor your 1/8th-inch high laptop drive has 63+ heads
in it.  A laptop drive is pushing it at 4 heads, yet most will report
63 heads to the bios.  I've seen some drives report 255 heads.  Given
that the number of heads is OVER-reported, most "cylinder boundaries"
as reported by the BIOS are actually in the middle of the physical
cylinders as they exist on the disk, and in some real/logical head
reporting combinations (63 logical heads/2 physical heads), many
logical cylinders even cross physicial cylinder boundaries.
This is why, in practice, most RAID 1 striping schemes use stripes
that are significantly smaller than even logical cylinder stripe
size -- to minimize the frequency of hitting physical cylinder
ends.

Basically, on a modern drive the C/H/S numbers are logical ONLY,
and bear NO relationship to the physical construction and layout
of the drive.