[mdlug] Ubuntu spyware

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jul 4 13:40:35 EDT 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:
> Canonical seems intent on alienating the larger Linux
> community by going their own way on many things (e.g. Mir)

Not only do they seem to be going their own way, but they often refuse to work with their upstream developers.

Often a bug is found in a particular piece of software in the software's bug system, only to have been fixed internally in Ununtu for weeks or months.  Features are added in Ubuntu and not shared with upstream. (particularly with the kernel, for example, the touchpad support in the Dell XPS-13.)  Then, of course, you have situations like Unity and Mir, where Canonical seems to be going out of their way to annoy the developers of software used in Ubuntu.

One of the reasons I'm a fan of Red Hat is because of their willingness to work with the open source developers, and in fact have many paid employees working on open source projects.