[mdlug] Consequences of 'noacpi'?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Mar 13 16:20:48 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 09:33 -0400, Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> I'm working with a new system, attempting to get Linux installed on it
> next to Windows 7. I'm using the Xubuntu 11.10 amd64 desktop CD, and
> it kept hanging after configuring USB stuff until I used the 'noacpi'
> option to the kernel.
> If I have to make that permanent, I will... but I'd like to know what
> disadvantages that might carry. From what I can gather, it might
> prevent the computer from sleeping, and possibly keep it from managing
> power as effectively. Is that correct?

Yes.

>  Any other issues I should be aware of?

It may prevent some hardware, such as audio or display adapter, from
working at all.  Without ACPI some hardware combinations will not be
able to share interrupts.

Have you tried the less drastic "nolapic" option?  Or "pci=noacpi"?

You should also send an ACPI dump to the ACPI project.
<http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/utilities.php>

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>