[mdlug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Mar 2 09:23:59 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 01:59:35PM +0000, Wojtak, Greg (Superfly) wrote:
> If an application is going to use a specific directory to hold a lot of
> data,
> then I will create a separate filesystem for it.  For example, for httpd,
> I'd
> create a filesystem specifically for /var/www (on RHEL) or for a mail
> server
> you want to make /var/spool/mail a pretty decent size.

Make sure that when you do something like this after the host has been
loaded with RHEL or some other distro that uses SELinux, you need to
relabel the volume after you've got it mounted so the SELinux
attributes are correct.  Otherwise httpd won't serve files out of the
new /var/www.

(And please don't tell me you turn off SELinux.)