[mdlug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Wojtak, Greg (Superfly) GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Fri Mar 2 08:59:35 EST 2012

My typical build out looks similar to what you propose.  I make the "holy
trinity"
filesystems 4GB each (unless more is needed):

/ - 4GB
/usr - 4GB
/var - 4GB
/tmp - 1GB
/boot - 200M
/home - Almost always automounted NFS
swap - A couple GB, depending on the application

If an application is going to use a specific directory to hold a lot of
data,
then I will create a separate filesystem for it.  For example, for httpd,
I'd
create a filesystem specifically for /var/www (on RHEL) or for a mail
server
you want to make /var/spool/mail a pretty decent size.

I also highly recommend using LVM.

Since most of the Linux hosts I work with are virtual machines on ESX,
I've been
toying with the idea of creating 2 hard disks - 1 200 MB disk to hold
/boot and then
another disk to hold the other filesystems.  The second disk does not get
partitioned
at all.  The advantage of this set up is that if I need to increase the
size of the
virtual drive to add more space to a filesystem, you don't need to reboot
because
you don't need to repartition.